Legal Services

Disability Services

If you are injured or ill because of work, you may be entitled to WSIB benefits. At Kawartha Property and Legal Services, we understand that the WSIB system can be quite frustrating. If you have been injured at work, we can help you navigate through your rights under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act (WSIA).

Some areas we aid with for WSIB claims are:

  • Initial Entitlement
  • Loss of Earnings Benefits
  • Non-Economic Loss (NEL) Benefits
  • Return to Work/Work Transition Plans
  • Pension Entitlements, Supplementary Benefits (pre-1990 claims)
  • Ontario Disability Support Program

If you have been denied benefits, we can help represent you through the appeals process, including attendance at Appeals Resolution Officer hearings, Return to Work meetings, and appeals before the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal (WSIAT).

Have you made enough contributions to the Canada Pension Plan but now your disability prevents you from working at any job on a regular basis?

In order to qualify for CPP Disability Benefits, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be under age 65
  • Have earned a calculated minimum amount and contributed to CPP while working for at least 4 out of the last 6 years.
  • Applicants who have contributed for 25 or more years are eligible if they have worked 3 out of the last 6 years.

If you have delayed applying for CPP Disability benefits, you may be eligible for benefits under the late applicant provision.

Have a disability that is considered ‘severe’ or ‘prolonged’ according to CPP legislation?

Here at Kawartha Property and Legal Services we understand that the application process can be confusing. We can help you start your application making sure that your application is complete with all necessary forms and medical documents. If you have been denied benefits, we can also help with your request for reconsideration or represent you before the Social Security Tribunal.

If you are an Ontario resident living with an injury that requires financial aid you may qualify for Ontario Disability Support Program benefits.

To qualify, you must:

  • Be 18 years of age or older;
  • Reside in Ontario;
  • Be able to demonstrate your financial need; and
  • Live with a substantial mental or physical disability.

Here at Kawartha Property and Legal Services we can help you obtain Ontario Disability Benefits. We can help with the initial application or if you have been denied we can help with the internal review process and representation at the Social Benefits Tribunal.

Employment and Human Rights Law

Have you been fired or laid off? Did you not receive notice for your termination? Losing a job can be very stressful. Kawartha Property and Legal Services can determine if an employee is entitled to notice and if more compensation is required.

Kawartha Property and Legal Services offers paralegal services that can help with the following services with Wrongful Dismissal Claims:

  • Employment Standards
  • Employment Contracts
  • Human Rights
  • WSIB
  • Health and Safety

Human rights laws in Ontario can be difficult to understand. When being faced with an issue of discrimination it is important to have representation that knows the law. Kawartha Property and Legal services can help you navigate through the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario process.

The Human Right Code protects individuals from differential treatment from the following grounds:

  • Race
  • Colour
  • Ancestry
  • Place of Origin
  • Citizenship
  • Ethnic Origin / Creed
  • Disability
  • Sex
  • Sexual Orientation
  • Gender Identity & Expression
  • Family Status / Marital Status
  • Age
  • Receipt of Public Assistance (Housing)
  • Record of Offences (Employment)
  • Association
  • Reprisal

If you feel like you have been wronged in one of these areas, we can help initiate your claim to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario. Contact Kawartha Property and Legal Services for a FREE consultation.